INTRODUCTION – Lu Esposito, PIO
Over the past couple of weeks AltCon and K98talk radio networks have been repeatedly and relentless pursued by a woman, who may or may not have been running an experiment, or may just be a cyber bully. On Wednesday, September 30, 2015, that woman was featured on Fox 5 Atlanta, WAGA, as a victim, in a report that repeatedly included a document, clearly visible, with the full name and location of a member of the AltCon Radio staff. The ‘woman from Colorado’, as Fox 5 Atlanta referred to her, was actually the victim, or one of the victims, of a relentless campaign that appeared to beattempted humiliation orchestrated and executed by their featured victim. For that matter, Fox 5 Atlanta may have been a victim themselves.
By the end of the first week, I found myself to be a target of her harassment, for merely offering to serve as the public information officer for this entire, Kathy Scott created mess, and for attempting to professionally correct her misinformation. This only led her to propagate the false stories on more websites and in new more harassing ways. The whole thing has been quite eye opening.
What was most shocking was the reaction of Fox 5 Atlanta. When we found out that our stalker was going to be talking about cyber bullying in a top 10 news market – well, just imagine if you had heard the same. Chilling, isn’t it? – I called the Fox 5 news desk, introduced myself appropriately, and asked if they were doing such a story. The news desk assured me they were not. I thought the issue was dead.
Around 10:30 I received a message that Fox 5 was teasing the story. I called the news desk again and was directed to a producer who told me that none of our people were featured in this story. Later, I found out that a staff member from AltCon did have her identity and location revealed on air during that story.
As a public information officer, I have never been misled by a news desk, news room or reporter. I’ve worked with media across the country, national and local, and I’m proud to say this has never happened before. I am saddened that it has happened now.
In addition, the news desk said that I could only view the content online, like everyone else, when it posts. I would love to link it for you here, however, it is still not posted, 13 hours later.
As of this morning, she still will not stop stalking me – forwarded by a friend:
Kathy Scott continues to harass me, behind a block. If friends did not share with me, I would not know.
STORY: Woman with a long history of questionable cyber activity featured on Fox 5 Atlanta as victim.
Denise Dillon of Fox 5 in Atlanta interviewed a purported victim of cyber bullying, who is actually a suspected bully, herself. The woman from Kennesaw, Kathy Scott, is well known across many social and digital platforms, after 2 years of cyber stalking media personalities, journalists and bloggers in South Dakota. Mrs. Scott is still making life difficult for internet users across the country. Unfortunately, like the man who has felt her wrath in South Dakota for over 2 years, few have the resources to pursue her legally.
A woman affiliated with K98talk in Cherokee Georgia recently received real threats from Mrs. Scott.
A police report was the basis for the story on Fox 5, according to the Fox 5 news desk, also listed the name of a host for AltCon Radio that was clearly visible. The ‘police report’ was actually a wellness check. The users’ concerned was based on the following Twitter activity by Kathy Scott – using the @1000girlfriends account that she claims to own, on her blog MeAndMy1000Girlfriends.com.
In one of these blogs, Mrs. Scott admits that her entire pattern of behavior was an ‘experiment’. Personally, I never agreed to be anyone’s lab rat.
The wellness check is suggested by Twitter as is the style of tweet used by the woman in Colorado, which references the Twitter @ address of local law enforcement @twitter and @safety. The Colorado woman mentioned in the Fox 5 story, whose name was not only given to her stalker, but also broadcast to Atlanta by Fox 5 News, asked Mrs. Scott several times if she was okay and was met with responses such as: Why are you telling me to kill myself?
The behavior by four accounts that are believed to be Kathy Scott: @DakotaFreePress, @WomansPartyUSA, @1000Girlfriends, and @BanMobTweeters included:
- Pretending to be a 14 year old, a grandmother, and an African-American man to name a few
- Acting disturbed or distressed and said her medication did not always work.
- Talking about being threatened, when she was not.
- Saying that other Twitter users were threatening to kill her or trying to get her to commit suicide when they were not.
- Blogging that included accusations toward other Twitter users, including the woman in Colorado, of forgery, lying, and creating false documents.
- Claiming that she uses her gun to kill ‘what was in front of her’ rather than for protection.
- Claiming that she received emails that were never sent.
Over the next few days, the woman in Colorado became the target of Mrs. Scott. Informational reports have been filed in several states on Mrs. Scott’s cyber activities in the past week.
After several days of what seemed to be an obsession with the woman from AltCon in Colorado, Mrs. Scott moved on to the woman from K98talk in Cherokee County.
The stations, K98talk and AltCon Radio, are currently consulting separate authorities as well as counsel to better understand their next steps.
In addition, both @DakotaFreePress and @BanMobTweeters were suspended by Twitter for abuse of Twitter terms of service, due to the way Mrs. Scott was responding to and ‘quote tweeting’ other users including but not limited to fans of the radio show. The hosts and fans of K98talk and AltCon Radio were by no means the only Twitter users that responded to Mrs. Scott and were met with shockingly accusatory tweets by Mrs. Scott and immediately accused of harassing her when they clearly had not.
A simple Google search will return a revealing view of her activities in South Dakota. How could Fox 5 Atlanta run such a story without a simple Google search.
An additional rundown of the facts that were omitted from the Fox 5 story:
- Mrs. Scott stalked a journalist in South Dakota, and his wife, for more than 2 years. This is also easy to Google.
- The wellness check was not the only report available on Mrs. Scott. I personally filed a report with the Garner, NC Police Department on Tuesday, September 29, 2015. In response, she posted that I, Lu Esposito, had tweeted she was getting swatted. You can see from her own post, though it may be great click bait, it is not true. As of Thursday morning, she had changed the “swatting” charge against me to trying to have her arrested. I may could have, I don’t know because I did not try. I filed an information report only. http://www.ranker.com/list/7-things-my-cyberharassers-did-to-me-this-week/meandmy1000girlfriends?format=SLIDESHOW&page=3
- Mrs. Scott has had several accounts suspended from Twitter
- I was alerted to the fact that Mrs. Scott was going to be on Fox 5. I called their news desk, identified myself as the PIO for the stations, and they told me they were not running a cyber bullying story.
- I called the news desk during the broadcast, again, to let them know who they were interviewing. They took my number for their lawyers.
- Though she often deletes tweets from her Twitter timeline, all Mrs. Scott’s tweets can be found here: http://www.tweettunnel.com/1000girlfriends
We believe that Mrs. Scott may have many more accounts
K98talk and AltCon Radio are independent talk networks featured on channels such as Spreaker, Stitcher, SHR Media, iHeart and TuneIn. K98talk is part of the Spark Media Network.
It is our understanding that Fox 5 Atlanta is owned by Fox Television Stations, LLC, as listed at their public web property.